TSS

Modern Vespa Forum

Vespa T5 1988 ignition died

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

kajtek Ashley Billimoria
Nice, PACA, France   FRA
Hey guys

I have an 88 T5 that was runing great until the other day. Riding at constant speed about 80km/h and from nowhere the ignition starting cutting in and out like it was intermittently losing spark.

After about a minute of the bike messing around...; it died completely. zero spark, and a long push home. Had a quick look over, spark lead and plug looked ok, coudlnt see anything loose. it 'felt' as if the ignition was grounding out at the time but that is literally just a guess.

I have experience with bigger bike ignition systems, but these vespas are obviously built a little different. Could anyone suggest the best route to follow for troubleshooting the problem?

Many thanks for any advice offered

Ashley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SS180 MOTOBALDET Avatar
SS180 MOTOBALDET Tom Colville
Rockingham, west australia, Australia   AUS
Try the following, new plug, check ignition lead/replace, plug cap, replace , check if you have a nipple on the end of your plug, and it is not in the cap correctly, hope this may help you. let me know how you go.

mogeyman James Mogey
Knightdale, NC, USA   USA
Check the battery too!

James

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
kajtek Ashley Billimoria
Nice, PACA, France   FRA
Hey guys thanks for the replies, havent had a battery in there for the last year so probably not that, although i should check the live isnt shorting out on the body!

I aslo read that the kill switch wire could fail? apparently its the green terminal on the cdi

best regards

Ashley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

1972 Vespa 150 Sprint Veloce

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links