Vintage Vespa Forum

No Spark Help

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

No Spark Help
  This topic is about my 1979 Vespa P 125 X
Detroit671 Byron Hannah II
Pittsburgh, PA, USA   USA
My P125x just stopped dead in the middle of a ride like I turned off the key. I have searched all over Google, but still need help. Does anyone have a link or a thread that goes through trouble shooting step by step? I have replaced the following: plug cap and lead, coil, condenser, and points. Battery is good. Tail light, horn, signals, all work. I will replace the stator, but need to know how to test it first - hate to keep throwing money at parts without knowing the cause. My concern is a potential wiring issue that I may be missing - hence it would be great if there was a tutorial on this - the Haynes manual essentially says take it to a dealer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
OlympiaScooterCompany Avatar
OlympiaScooterCompany Matthew Gatlin
Olympia, WA, USA   USA
Hello from Olympia Scooter Company,
Usually when I hear this sort of issue I start with the following:

Does it have spark?
Have you replaced the fuse?
Does the tail light illuminate when you turn the key to the on position?
When was the battery replaced last?
Have you considered upgrading to the electronic ignition?
Vespa Motorsport can check the stator assembly and repair it if needed.

If the taillight does not illuminate, and you do not have spark, then you most likely have developed a short somewhere in the system. We have worked on scooters with simple grounds occurring in the switch assemblies, to the Euro taillight not being properly grounded. Be patient, it takes time to find the issue and properly correct it.

Detroit671 Byron Hannah II
Pittsburgh, PA, USA   USA
Thanks for reaching out. Tail light illuminates - battery is new. Checking switch now ... I am frustrated that wiring diagrams don't exactly match - and I am not totally sure what to be checking. Yes - I would switch to electronic, but everyone seems out of stock on the kits. I would need soup to nuts and my flywheel does not have the triggers in the magnets. But yes - if I could find a kit or could understand all the individual pieces I would convert. Thanks again.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
OlympiaScooterCompany Avatar
OlympiaScooterCompany Matthew Gatlin
Olympia, WA, USA   USA
How did it go with your scooter? Have you tried scooterhelp.com - they have many of the proper wiring diagrams for your scooter. Sometimes you will need to replace the loom if the short is somewhere internally.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

2009 Vespa GTV 250 60th Anniversary

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links