TSS

Vintage Vespa Forum

Key won't come out of steering column lock (VBA) - problem or feature?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

itsraininginPDX Avatar
itsraininginPDX Matthew Hamm
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Hi all. I just re-joined the forum, after many years away.
I've sold all my scooters and parts over the past decade - except for a 1960 VBA that hasn't been on the road since the mid to late 60's. This is actually the oldest scoot I've owned, and my first 8 incher. And though I am the fool who took it all apart, that was many years ago. Long enough for some stupid little details to fade.

like this one...
I have two steering column locks to choose from for my rebuild. The one I'd like to use has a better fit and finish. However, It won't let me remove the key when in the unlocked position. It will only let go of the key when in the locked position. The cheaper lock will let me remove the key in either position.

So super simple stupid question - What is the original design config for an early 60's era steering column lock? I can actually understand forcing the key to stay in the lock when unlocked. Seems sort of like keeping the key in the car ignition while it's on. I just don't recall any of my other scoots forcing me to do this. In fact I know none of my other scoots held the key hostage while unlocked.

Thanks in advance!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Scooterbreaker Avatar
Scooterbreaker Dave Stone
Newport, Newport, UK   GBR
Yes this a feature of the early Vespa steering lock.

itsraininginPDX Avatar
itsraininginPDX Matthew Hamm
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Thanks!!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

1980 Vespa P 125 X

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links