Vintage Vespa Forum

Fuel tap will not close

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tony2904 Avatar
tony2904 Tony Mildred
Parkside, South Australia, Australia   AUS
I have recently replaced the fuel tap on my 1972 150 Super. I broke the old tap at he point where the fuel tap lever joins the tap by circlip. Initially, I only replaced the rotating external section of the tap where the lever joins and the Spring washer is retained by two screws. I did not pay close attention to which way up to place the circular section. As a result. The tap works on reserve or open and can be closed when the fuel level is low. However, if the fuel level is above reserve it cannot be turned off. I thought, OK, I must be 180 degrees out but when I removed and replaced the rotating section 180 degrees different, the symptoms are the same. Help!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ck3268 Christian Kost
AE, FPO, USA   USA
Tony,

Change the Fuel Tap it easy and cheap. Order the complete part which includes the Rod, you have to buy the rod grommet separate if your old one is worn out or ripped. You will need the spanner wrench as well. The seat(s) comes off, then you remove the fuel tank. R & R the tap and your done. While doing this you have the opportunity to clean fuel tank and possibly change the fuel line if it is brittle hard. If these parts are cost prohibited in your area check out Ebay or other on-line sources.

Regards,
Chris

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

1991 Vespa PX 150

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links