Vintage Vespa Forum

New to Vespas not New to Sharks

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Madscientist Eric Hovland
Tampa, FL, USA   USA
Hello everyone.

I'm new to Vespa ownership as I managed to pick up a 1978 P125x and it still has less than 2000 miles. This is my very first motorbike therefore I'll be asking lots of questions about service, maintenance, and upgrades. Curious if anybody has updated their headlights or suggestions for electronic ignition and any other good solid performance upgrade suggestions and sources. I mention I'm not new to sharks as my day job is a shark marine biologist. So you can probably tell I could use a lot of help with my new Scoot.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

14449792_10155175374257908_5032539963209351110_n.jpg    47.2 KB

OlympiaScooterCompany Avatar
OlympiaScooterCompany Matthew Gatlin
Olympia, WA, USA   USA
Hello Eric,
We are working on a Vespa P125x in our shop right now converting it over to electronic ignition (no points) and with a Halogen sealed beam headlight.

The project is easy to do as long as you have the right parts to do it with.

159576 Ducati Electronic Ignition
164844 Plate (for ignition)
185236 Insulating Cap
167103 Stator Assembly
167102 P200 Flywheel
267 Flywheel key

Tools Needed
Flywheel Puller
Flywheel Holder

Hope this helps point you in the right direction

CalScoot SD P200, VBC Super, 100 Sport
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
for a 125, some performance upgrades that you should consider are

basic one first ---- do the heart-mod on the air filter, upgraded exhaust like the SIP Road 2 and up-jet....if you want to keep it basically stock with a slight performance bump. I believe the new air filters come with the heart already drilled out.

For a solid boost in power add a cylinder kit and up-jet accordingly. Maybe do the basic upgrade first and learn a bit about your bike...then go nuts on it after that.

buy a manual like the Paxton "how to restore largeframe vespas", and join the Not-so-Modern peeps on Modern Vespa. Post lots of pics and the dark side will point you in the right direction. Enjoy the scoot!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

1963 Vespa GS 150

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links