TSS

Vintage Vespa Forum

Total Newbie here

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Traveller Greg Wood
KY, USA   USA
Hi all, I'm Greg Wood living in Wilmore, Kentucky USA, and a few days ago, I foolishly bought an old Vespa that I know NOTHING about. I really don't even know what model it is, or what to call it.
Supposedly, it is a 1956 150cc. The serial number begins with VL3T,....is that the model? It looks to be in decent shape with some restoration work that seems to be well done. Not sure of the value, but I gave $1600 for it and I'm not trying to sell it, so it isn't the end of the world if that was a little high. I filled it with fresh gas and a 5% oil mix and it runs ok, but is not very enthusiastic about starting. I'd like it to be a frequent driver, so if there is a newer carburetor that could be installed without other modifications, I'd like to hear about it.
What it really does not like to do is shift. It had a broken shift cable ( I found a new one in the compartment) and after I installed it and did my best to adjust it and remove iny slack in the cables the only gear that I can always find is 2nd. If I reach under the bike and manually move the selector device I can eventually locate 1st, 3rd and neutral also, but it still seems pretty vague about finding the right gear.
Please forgive any breach protocol as I am not very experienced with forums. I promise a minimum of whining, and I'll do my best to keep my questions from being too stupid.
Regards to all,
Greg Wood
1956 Vespa 150?
1953 Willys Station Wagon
1929 Willys Whippet
1941 Oldsmobile 76
1959 Morris Oxford Traveller

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Traveller Greg Wood
KY, USA   USA
Oh yeah, Here's a photo

Attachments:
1956VespaTop.jpg    81.7 KB
1956VespaTop.jpg

1956Vespa.jpg    72.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
RedBird64 Avatar
RedBird64 Ken Ashbrook
Severna Park, MD, USA   USA
Hi
Looks like a great looking Vespa. Congrats on your ownership.
First get a reprint manual. Check with this guy;http://allstateguy.tripod.com/

Also, eBay. Most are all the same up through the mid-60s.
The carbs, typically, just need a good cleaning. Pay attention to the sealing of the top covers and the details.
I have a Pdf. copy of a 150 that should get you started, but, it's 8 mgbs. Cannot provide an attachment here.
PM and I'll try to get it to you. Also, join the not so modern vespa forum. Very good knowledgeable crowd.:http://modernvespa.com/forum/
Choose the not-so-modern section. This might be helpful: http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic109742
BTW, I own a '64 and a '66 Allstate Scoot.
Regarding the selector cables:
How to setup Vespa shifter selector cables:

Put scooter in first gear,line up with the "1", tighten the corresponding
cable. Then, put the scooter in fourth gear, lined up with the "4",
tighten the second cable.
I was never able to get things to work out when lining up the dot with
neutral. I have a different scoot model, but I would think it would work the same way.

Good luck!

RedBird64
1964 Allstate Vespa VNB 125
1966 Sears Blue Badge VLB1T

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-03 09:49 AM by RedBird64.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1997.JPG    57.4 KB
IMG_1997.JPG

20130830_140819 (1).jpg    66.8 KB
Fatboy04 Jerry Kramer
Cedar Rapids, IA, USA   USA
Welcome

Attachments:
Vespa.jpg    58.3 KB
Vespa.jpg

Traveller Greg Wood
KY, USA   USA
Thanks for the suggestions. It's nice to at least have a starting point! I will assume that the shift selector system is similar on my 3spd to your 4spd.
I'm still pretty in the dark about the carb, though. My carb is behind the little door below the seat, and from a few illustrations that I have seen, it looks like other scooters are completely different, with a carb that is mounted directly to the side of the motor.

RedBird64 Avatar
RedBird64 Ken Ashbrook
Hi,
While in a different location, they all function in a similar manner. Will just need to do the tuning of all systems. While mine is a 4 spd, I would start in neutral with new cables and proceed from there. And do check with my friends on the "Not-So-Modern" Vespa site.
Good Luck

RedBird64

CalScoot SD P200, VBC Super, 100 Sport
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
you can also go to scooterhelp.com, there is lots of info there....and a serial number / engine number verification area. Also like the other person said. Not-so-Modern is the place to go for good info from good peeps. and post a lot of pics so they can help you. also 5% oil mix is too much....stay with 2%. find a local scoot club and make scooterfriends...that is the best way to learn.

RedBird64 Avatar
RedBird64 Ken Ashbrook
Yes, forgot Scooterhelp.com. Lots of good info. Thanks Calscoot for the comment.

RedBird64

CalScoot SD P200, VBC Super, 100 Sport
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
thanks Redbird.

and.... scooterhelp.com and vespaguide.com has downloads for manuals. this site also has a ton and easy to download. http://www.vespamania.co.za/DOWNLOADS/

Traveller Greg Wood
KY, USA   USA
I'm fairly sure this engine would eventually seize up if run on a 2% mixture. From a little research, including Scooterhelp. Vespa didn't go to a 2% mixture until the engine was redesigned around 1958. I have been STRONGLY cautioned to go with a 5% mixture on the VL series. I love the looks of my Vespa, but honestly I wish it had a more modern motor.
Thanks to all,
Greg

RedBird64 Avatar
RedBird64 Ken Ashbrook
More Scooter? There are kits that will do this, but, for me the joy is in the ownership and riding experience of these "primitive" yet lovable scoots. If you want more "scooter", buy a modern version with no personality. Just my 2 cents.

RedBird64

Traveller Greg Wood
KY, USA   USA
I'm pretty familiar with the charm of original older vehicles. You're talking to a guy with a 1929 Willys Whippet, a 1941 Oldsmobile, and a 1953 Willys station wagon, all in original non-modified condition. And I drive them a lot, especially the Willys Wagon.
I would never modify an original scooter that's in as good condition as this one is. I am totally dismayed at the number of vintage cars and bikes that are being hacked into street rods, many of them were very decent original vehicles. In fact, I have seen quite a few fully restored cars cut up and hot rodded, because "...the hard part's already done..."
However, when I found a really beat old BMW 500cc Motorcycle, I rebuilt it with a later 1000cc motor and modern electrics and have found it to be very satisfying machine over the last 20 years.

Attachments:
.jpg    56.5 KB
.jpg

WP_20150815_017.jpg    48.7 KB
Traveller Greg Wood
KY, USA   USA
By The way, I really like both of your scooters, although I'm fond of the softer lines of the Allstate. Is there a huge difference in their "personality"?
Greg

RedBird64 Avatar
RedBird64 Ken Ashbrook
Personalty?...... The silver scoot is a '66 Sears Blue Badge. By the '65-66 timeframe, Sears dropped the Allstate name and was the last years for Sears carrying the Vespa lineup. The silver scoot has a 150cc engine and 10" wheels. It's a better ride than the red Vespa which is a '64 Allstate and 125cc with 8" wheels. The smaller wheels tend to make this Vespa act like a kid's Razor scooter, if you know what I mean.
I do get your affinity for classic motor vehicles, as I do as well ...and I do like your vintage RV and jeep combo.
I have 6 other vintage light weight motor bikes, including a '48 Whizzard Bike, a '64.5mustang cvt, a '67 E Type Jag and an 'o8 XK-R cvt.
I see you have a vintage cycle. I too, enjoy the larger bikes too.
The following is a PUCH I restored from the ground up. It too was a Sears catalog product too.

RedBird64

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-06 03:09 PM by RedBird64.

Attachments:
65 Puch Allstate 250.jpg    55.1 KB
65 Puch Allstate 250.jpg

Traveller Greg Wood
KY, USA   USA
Ken,
You have a series 1.5 E-type? Doesn't get any better than that in my opinion! I don't know how far off topic we can digress on this site but, have you seen the Lyonheart " "tribute"?
I have also owned s few of the Puch "twingles" and think they are some of the most underappreciated bikes out there. The build quality is amazing for their price class.
Greg

Attachments:
Lyonheart-K-2.jpg    38.6 KB
Lyonheart-K-2.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

1961 Lambretta TV 175 Series II

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links