Vintage Vespa Forum

Vespa Sprint Body Refurbish

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RodW Rod White
St Margarets-at-Cliffe, Kent, UK   GBR
I mean like this sort of thing.

Rod

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20180822_130321.jpg    48.3 KB
20180822_130321.jpg

20160806_114957.jpg    48.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
enigmas Avatar
enigmas Vince Stok
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
You can repair/restore anything if you have the skills, patience and the endurance Rod. Most have initial enthusiasm but don't have the endurance to see a project through.
I still haven't seen any clear photos of your scooter yet which makes advising you dIfficult. Generally though, if you are to rebuild/repair/reshape a panel you'll need a similar panel or scooter to take measurements from and recreate what is missing or rotten.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-27 09:19 AM by enigmas.

RedBird64 Avatar
RedBird64 Ken Ashbrook
Severna Park, MD, USA   USA
A "ton" of good work mate. You are to be commended! Reminds me of my similar project on a 66 Sears Blue Badge 150 about 6 years ago. Three things that I did......
1. after hearing how tough it is to thread the cables through the tunnel to the rear, before welding the floor pan in place, I ran all of the necessary cables to the rear, being careful to protect them from any heat (welding, torches etc.)
2. I built a rotisserie using my V8 engine stand. This aided greatly in moving and rotating the body.
3. I built a rivet jig using a large "C" clamp and a palm hammer to replace the body rivets. They look very very close to OEM.

Hope these help others.....

RedBird64
1964 Allstate Vespa VNB 125
1966 Sears Blue Badge VLB1T

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_3028.JPG    53.6 KB
IMG_3028.JPG

showing versatility of rotisserie 1.JPG    60.1 KB
notched clamp.JPG    31 KB
enigmas Avatar
enigmas Vince Stok
Nice work Ken. The rivet device to replicate the spot welds is a nice touch but that's a step even too far for me. You'll probably even fool the concourse experts with that added bit of detail. Well done. thumbs up

RedBird64 Avatar
RedBird64 Ken Ashbrook
Severna Park, MD, USA   USA
Thanks Vince, you ain't too bad yourself, Mate.....
I've attached a couple more pics.......

RedBird64
1964 Allstate Vespa VNB 125
1966 Sears Blue Badge VLB1T

Attachments:
plunger stamping detail.JPG    37.1 KB
plunger stamping detail.JPG

Rivet test panel .jPG    24.2 KB
IMG_2969.JPG    53.4 KB
IMG_2961.JPG    37.6 KB
enigmas Avatar
enigmas Vince Stok
And thanks for your kind words too Ken. cool smiley The whole body fabrication skills stuff started with me when I was in my early 20's and got truly mucked about by lame arse panel beaters promising work that they either couldn't do or wouldn't do properly...virtually welding new panels over corroded/rotten box sections...primarily on some classic cars I was restoring at the time.

Vespa Postie Scooter.
http://vespaclubmelbourne.com.au/m/discussion?id=6411086%3ATopic%3A225513
Click on the No. 14 to the right of the last image on that page and y'ou'll see the finished scooter.

Ditto with Tony's vespa link below.

Tony's Vespa
http://vespaclubmelbourne.com.au/m/discussion?id=6411086%3ATopic%3A228803

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-29 10:09 PM by enigmas.

RodW Rod White
St Margarets-at-Cliffe, Kent, UK   GBR
In reply to # 1878 by enigmas You can repair/restore anything if you have the skills, patience and the endurance Rod. Most have initial enthusiasm but don't have the endurance to see a project through.
I still haven't seen any clear photos of your scooter yet which makes advising you dIfficult. Generally though, if you are to rebuild/repair/reshape a panel you'll need a similar panel or scooter to take measurements from and recreate what is missing or rotten.

Hi,

This is the worst panel. I don't know how long it should extend. Any clues please?

Rod

Attachments:
damaged rear.jpg    46 KB
damaged rear.jpg

enigmas Avatar
enigmas Vince Stok
In reply to # 1888 by RodW
In reply to # 1878 by enigmas You can repair/restore anything if you have the skills, patience and the endurance Rod. Most have initial enthusiasm but don't have the endurance to see a project through.

Hi,

This is the worst panel. I don't know how long it should extend. Any clues please?

Rod

Hi Rod. You've got to do some homework and research. I don't keep notes on the various restorations I do. You need to find a similar example of your model and photograph the various panels. You'll also need a reference point for every panel you want to repair (if the corrosion is severe and the panel shape unknown/lost.) Measurements are taken from these reference points. The reference points are up to you. Some reshaping is down to pure aesthetics and your own eye for detail and finish.
Start on a simple repair first...and do that..then move on to the next least difficult. If you persevere and do things methodically you'll see progress. Do the task in front of you then move onto the next task. It's totally up to you.

enigmas Avatar
enigmas Vince Stok
To finalise the epic build story on this 68 Vespa Sprint Roberto (Vespa Wizard) contacted me today and asked if I'd like to drop by his workshop to see the finished scooter. Roberto had recently completed the mechanical and 'bling' refurbishment after picking it up from the painters...who did an amazing job in a 2 pack paint system. The engine has also had a few upgrades increasing capacity to 170cc, suitable larger choke carb, a bigger bore muffler and electronic ignition.
The finished product truly is outstanding especially when you consider the condition of the scooter as first presented!
Here are a few pics of the Vespa. I'm sure Darren (owner) will be truly amazed by the transformation.

The first image shows the correct colour of the Vespa.

Roberto the Vespa Wizard.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

2008 Vespa S 150

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links