Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TSS

Vintage Vespa Forum

Should I go for it

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tim84k10 Tim Venditti
Rio Rancho, USA   USA
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and to Vespas in general. I was going to post in the welcome thread but had some specific questions so I figured I would start a new topic.
If everything goes according to plan I hope to buy a 1974 150 Super from a friend. This scooter has been in his family since it was new but has been sitting in a garage and has not been run in almost 20 years. I have been asking him to sell it to me for some time because I really like these old scooters and I would like to take on the task of fixing one up. I suspect I could get it running with a little carburetor work and fresh fluids but to really get it road ready would require a tear down and some effort.

So I guess the questions I have are: 1 - Just how much effort (I know there are a lot of variables and opinions here) would be involved in bringing this to life when its only issues have been sitting in a garage for so long. Would the rebuild be any more/less difficult than a modern scooter? I am assuming that parts can be sourced, especially with the help of people in this forum. 2 - What is an honest price to offer for this? I figure the money that I will put into it will be beyond anything I could get out of it when I am finished and I am not looking to make money, but cost is an issue when considering a new project. I would like to offer him the value of this in its current shape but I really don't know what that is and I haven't had much luck getting a good gauge on the value of something like this.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
OlympiaScooterCompany Avatar
OlympiaScooterCompany Silver Member Matthew Gatlin
Olympia, WA, USA   USA
Greetings,
The value is subjective if you plan on keeping the scooter. If it is in decent shape and not running I would keep the opening offer under $1,000. Most likely the scooter will need a motor and carb rebuild which is relatively easy to do. Best case scenario on the motor rebuild would be replacing seals, gaskets, clutch plates, and possibly the shifting cross. But if the top end is scored / seized beyond repair, then the expenses could climb from there.

Matthew Gatlin
Olympia Scooter Company
Cell: 503.954.4043
Email: sales@olympiascootercompany.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

1962 Vespa GS 160

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links