Vintage Vespa Forum

oil in the gas

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

oil in the gas
  This topic is about my 1966 Vespa VBC Super 150
BowlerDave David Ruef
Colusa, CA, USA   USA
Hello, newly joined and new Vespa owner. This is probably a naive or stupid question but...I see and read different information on this. In a premix Vespa what ratio do you use for the run in period after a rebuild and then in the long run? I've seen everywhere from 24 to 1 up too 50 to 1. Thanks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Vespaphiluk Phil Holden
Chester, Cheshire, UK   GBR
Hi, Depends which model you have, rotary valve models tend to use 50:1 = 2% where as models like SS180/ GS160 use 20:1 = 5% providing its the correct engine, hope this helps

BowlerDave David Ruef
Colusa, CA, USA   USA
Hello Phil; Thanks for an answer. I believe this engine is an LML 5 port reed valve cyl rebuild. (what ever that means)

David

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
enigmas Avatar
enigmas Vince Stok
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
If you're running in a fresh engine use an oil mixture ratio in the higher oil to fuel ratio percentage. Mix ratios should be listed on a container of quality 2 stroke oil.

NB. If it's a fresh engine (especially the cyl/piston/rings) you want extra lube till the components bed-in properly...and keep the mixture (air/ fuel ratio) on the rich side. If it smokes a bit more whilst you running it in...it's of little concern, apart from an environmentalist or two you may irritate. winking smiley

Don't run the engine at an even speed for extended periods whilst running it in. Use the gears and work it against a load (hills, etc)...this will improve the engines ring seal.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

1950 Lambretta C

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links