TSS

Vintage Vespa Forum

FIrst question - centre stand on 1961

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Robmc Robert McConnell
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
Hi All
I just picked up the bike on Tuesday, so I am going to ask some really daft questions. I have noticed that the centre stand does not seem great, the leg on the engine side supports the weight when the bike is on the stand and the other leg is about 5mm off the floor. Both wheels are in contact with the ground too.

Is this normal, there does not seem to be any adjustment and the stand feet don’t seem to be worn.

Any help appreciated.

Read more: http://vespa.proboards.com/thread/7124/1961-vnb-125-centre-stand#ixzz5QsnhINrx

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
enigmas Avatar
enigmas Vince Stok
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Hi Robert...I have 68 Vespa Sprint with a centre stand fitted. When it is on the stand the front wheel just touches the ground and can be easily swiveled side to side without affecting the scooter's balance. The rear wheel takes the weight with the stand.
Either you have a faulty or bent stand or the scooter frame is twisted as the fixing for the stand is through the tunnel flange where it is spot welded to the floor board.
Remove the seat and a seam should be visible in front and behind the tank. This is a basic centre line. Eyeball this 'line' with regard to the headstem or upright where the scooter steering swivels.

Another check for twist is to ensure that both wheels are perpendicular to the ground and in perfect alignment.
If the power unit frame mounts (large bolt that passes through the frame and holds the engine/trans in the monocoque) are lozenged/oval due to age/ wear and tear...this may also cause the situation with the centre stand mount.

If none of this is a concern...simply remove the stand and add the difference to the shorter leg.

PS. I'm currently extensively repairing a very tired old Vespa Sprint monocoque so all these issues are currently front and centre with the task.
https://www.twostrokesmoke.com/phorum/read.php?2,1793

Robmc Robert McConnell
Hi Vince
Thanks for the reply. I just checked out your thread, your a talented man.

I removed the seats and checked the seam, all seems to be well. I will check the central engine bolts you mentioned in the morning.

What I have noticed is that the steering sits a few degrees off centre. Is this adjustable?

I have taken a picture from the rear to show the main seam but it’s hard to show the steering being off a few degrees.

Cheers
Rob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
8F76D45D-D1FB-4869-B94B-EDCACFAF8602.jpeg    44.5 KB
8F76D45D-D1FB-4869-B94B-EDCACFAF8602.jpeg

91331D6B-332A-4A72-9183-C5DB30FD730F.jpeg    38.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Robmc Robert McConnell
Hi
I answered my own question. Just found the bolts under the headlight and realigned the steering. This helped the stand a little. Then I packed out the left hand side stand boot with two washers, probabaly needed about 3mm.

I sits straight, steers straight and the front wheel touches the floor but can be moved freely while on the stand.

Ok now onto front brake and sticky accelerator.

Cheers
Rob

enigmas Avatar
enigmas Vince Stok
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Here you go Rob...read towards the bottom of the article.

https://www.scooterhelp.com/tips/body/fork.bearings.html

Robmc Robert McConnell
Hi Vince
Thanks for that. I need to change over the front guard too and was wondering what the procedure was. That article is going in the file.
Cheers
Rob

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

1962 Vespa VBA Standard 150

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links