TSS

Vintage Vespa Forum

65 Vespa Sprint--or not!

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

amstrum Mark Strumolo
Naugatuck, CT, USA   USA
Hi everyone!
I'm new to TSS and I have a newly "inherited" 1965 Vespa Sprint--I think. The reason I say this is because even though the engine number traces out as a 64-66 Sprint, certain parts on it make no sense. The carburetor and the stator, for instance, look nothing like any I have seen anywhere in manuals or on the i-net. And there is also this mystery part sandwiched between the engine and the coil that I dont even recognize. It has two wires coming from it; where they go, who knows. I should mention that this thing is in pretty rough shape and the wiring harness has been butchered. Nothing is hooked up and much could be missing. Oh yeah, none of the wiring diagrams I have looked at match what I seem to have (or the colors) either!

I just want to make sure I have what I think I have and want to replace anything that doesn't belong before I decide how deeply I want to get involved in this project...

I was hoping to post a few pictures so that anyone out there might be able to advise me as to what I have, to replace/not to replace, how to hook it up, etc. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks!

Mark

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20180815_100202.jpg    22.6 KB
20180815_100202.jpg

20180815_101124.jpg    44.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20180815_110125.jpg    42.4 KB
20180815_101220.jpg    46.2 KB
OlympiaScooterCompany Avatar
OlympiaScooterCompany Silver Member Matthew Gatlin
Olympia, WA, USA   USA
Did this scooter make it's way over from Vietnam?

Matthew Gatlin
Olympia Scooter Company
Cell: 503.954.4043
Email: sales@olympiascootercompany.com

amstrum Mark Strumolo
Naugatuck, CT, USA   USA
I have no idea! It was given to my brother by a former tenant and it's been sitting in his barn ever since. He gave it to me to "play" with. There were no documents with it...

Another hint ,perhaps?--I found the word "Femsa" stamped on the back of the stator plate. When I did an i-net search, I found an ebay listing for what looks exactly like my ststor--for a 1966 Bultaco Campera!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
OlympiaScooterCompany Avatar
OlympiaScooterCompany Silver Member Matthew Gatlin
Olympia, WA, USA   USA
Spain?

Matthew Gatlin
Olympia Scooter Company
Cell: 503.954.4043
Email: sales@olympiascootercompany.com

amstrum Mark Strumolo
Naugatuck, CT, USA   USA
We decided to purchase a few original equipment parts, wire it up temporarily, and see if it will start. The only question now is what the mystery part is and how to wire it in.

Attachments:
20180815_100331.jpg    33 KB
20180815_100331.jpg

20180815_100202.jpg    22.6 KB
ross80 Ross Jenkins
Grevinge, Denmark, Denmark   DNK
This is a resistor, it's like a crude regulator to make sure that the AC from the generator doesn't burn out the bulbs. Removing it temporarily won't make it impossible to start. Incidentally, did your bike have bulbs in the tail light, and if so, what wattage are they? I have a wiring diagram which states they are a lower wattage than most Vespa tail lights.

ross80 Ross Jenkins
Grevinge, Denmark, Denmark   DNK
Also, make sure the brake light switch is in good condition as the ignition circuit on the Spanish vespa apparently relies on this - the ignition derives its earth from it. I'll send you a PDF of the wiring diagram. Don't rely on any Italian Vespa schematics as they're not the same. Good luck in the meantime smiling smiley

amstrum Mark Strumolo
Naugatuck, CT, USA   USA
Hi there!
I haven't even gotten to the bulbs yet. I will check them out now, though. Thanks for the information. Now that I know what I'm looking at, I can move on and get things cleaned up and adjusted...then hopefully started....

Thanks for all the advice! Good luck with yours...

amstrum Mark Strumolo
Naugatuck, CT, USA   USA
Hi again!

I was putting the 1965 150s back together and found that the points will not open--the plastic part that rides on the flywheel "lobe" is extremely worn. Any idea where I can get another set of the spanish points?

Mark

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

2008 Vespa PX 150

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links