Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TSS

Vintage Vespa Forum

1980 Vespa Piaggio P200e hasnt run in 10 years will blog the steps I take to get her running again....follow along

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
How about a little update.........I got a box of new parts to snap on.....that was fun and easy to do. The headlight assembly is complete. The fuel tank has been drained and flushed clean. I replaced the fuel and oil lines. I reinstalled the rebuilt carburetor. I replaced the neutral selector switch and it is glowing green now. 2 stroke will arrive tomorrow and I will try to start this weekend. I will try to find ethanol free gas because it is unlikely the scooter will be ridden anytime soon. If Matt gives me a thumbs up I might even use Trufuel sold at HomeDepot......then there will be no long term storage issues.
I should note that tonight I crawled under the scooter and noticed multiple oil leaks. At this point I have no idea where it is coming from but can only assume that the main engine seals are shot from sitting for 10 years. I will deal with that issue next....but for now I am hoping that my 105 psi compression will be enough to get this thing started so I can at least get a joy ride for my efforts smiling smiley .......with any luck at all I wont crash it into a mail box smiling smiley
see pics.....

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
v70.jpg    35.3 KB
v70.jpg

v71.jpg    35.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
v80.jpg    37.5 KB
v73.jpg    49.4 KB
jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Ya ya ya .....I know its not that exciting......but hey....I am documenting for future snapper onner's.....

Attachments:
v72.jpg    34.7 KB
v72.jpg

v81.jpg    42.9 KB
v75.jpg    44.4 KB
v77.jpg    54.6 KB
jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
All put back together and ready to fire fire fire!!!!!!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
v78.jpg    46.5 KB
v78.jpg

v79.jpg    39.8 KB
jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Update....moved the scooter to my home garage so I could tinker when ever I wanted to.....tried to start it again and the bike almost started but just wouldnt run. So the next thing to do is to look for spark. I noticed the green wire that goes to the CDI looked a little rough so I decided to open the rubber boot that houses the CDI and stator wires. For some reason the one green wire that goes to the run switch on the handle bars was badly corroded and fell apart when I touched it. Even after cleaning up this wire the bike still wouldnt start so I ordered a CDI module from Matt and it should be here soon. If I can get spark and it still doesnt start that will be a tough blow.....
See pics.....the blue part is what I am replacing.....also zoom in on the green wire and see how corroded it is

Attachments:
v88.jpg    64.5 KB
v88.jpg

v90.jpg    49.1 KB
v89.jpg    43.4 KB
jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Started working on the seat while I am waiting on ignition parts. After 38 years the oem leather was very brittle and had several tears in it.....the seat frame was covered in rust. I took a drill with a wire wheel to the seat frame to clean it up...then I primed it...then painted it.....now I can handle it without needing a tetanus shot. Installing the seat cover looks to be a tricky job to get a professional look but i will take my time and get it right.

Attachments:
v84.jpg    52.5 KB
v84.jpg

v85.jpg    67.6 KB
v87.jpg    51.2 KB
v86.jpg    55.6 KB
jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Thats all for tonight folks! see pics

Attachments:
v83.jpg    49.5 KB
v83.jpg

v82.jpg    50.3 KB
Sammydeconinck Avatar
Sammydeconinck Pascal Leirens
Oudenaarde / Eine, oost-vlaanderen, Belgium   BEL
Hi Jim,greetings out of belgium here ;-) .Just saw that you're on the right way to give rebirth at this nice scoot ! Such a low milege,the motor in in good shape.
Keep this beauty on the road and put your 2 fingers in v-form in the air !!!
Greetz,Pascal.

jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Hey Pascal!!! Thanks for your message. Yes I am determined to get this scooter running and looking good.

I have done many things to the scooter but here is a list of items that I have done that were needed to get this scooter running.

Flush out gas and oil tank
Rebuild carburetor
Replaced fuel and oil lines
Replaced air filter
Added fresh gas and oil
Replaced crank case oil
Did compression test and had 105 to 110 psi

Still wont start......

Checked for spark and it doesnt appear to be getting spark. I found the green wire to the CDI to be completely corroded for at least 8" up the wire. I also found that the run/start switch is not functioning properly....in fact it appears that it has been removed and reinstalled backwards....

With lots of hep from my friend Matt I have a strategy of sorts and always a package of parts in the mail. Today the new parts arrived. I am hoping that the new CDI module will solve my no spark problem. If I have spark but it still wont start I will have to hot wire the run switch while waiting for a new one to arrive in the mail. I will install the CDI tomorrow.

If I cant get it to kick start I might bump start it. I used to ride dirt bikes when I was a kid and would bump start them all the time. I am a little nervous bump starting the Vespa due to I have never riddin this scooter. I might just try to bump start it in second gear, it should lurch much at all in second....right?
Then if it still doesnt start my next step will be to test the stater.

The seat cover is a tricky job......now that I have got the cover installed and truly know how it is supposed to be installed......I think i will remove it and re install with some foam stuffing. It looks good....but it could look even better if I stuffed it like a Turkey.

I will check back in with the results

Attachments:
v53.jpg    81.5 KB
v53.jpg

v54.jpg    42.9 KB
v56.jpg    35.4 KB
jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Ok folks........today was my lucky day.....the ole gal started today!!!!!!

I figured out that my run switch was broken internally and had to make sure it was at least in the correct position. I wanted to check again for spark now that the run switch issue was figured out...as it turns out I did have spark. Even with knowing that I had spark I installed a new spark plug and a new CDI because the bike was still not starting. Then with the new parts she still wouldnt start. She had fuel....spark....and good compression so I couldnt figure out the issue. The bike would try to start but would never keep going. Keep in mind that I just rebuilt the carb and cleaned out the fuel tank and system. I was just about to give up and order a new run switch when I decided to spray some starting fluid in the carb....I kicked it about 7 more times then she fired and ran like a champ. Now looking back i wash I had gone to the starting fluid a lot sooner.
After she started I spoiled her with some new parts and a little waxing and buffing for making my day.
I installed a new plastic front suspension cover......a new OEM battery hold down strap......and a new neutral selector switch rubber boot. This scooter is bone stock so I all replacement parts going back on are all OEM. My next project is to adjust the glove box so it closes easily and re install it.
I am still trying to get the neutral selector switch light to function correctly and I am waiting on a few more parts in the mail. I am anxious to ride this beauty....hopefully I dont run it into a mailbox and have to start all over again smiling smiley
I will report back after my first ride on a 1979 Vespa Piaggio P200E

Attachments:
v94.jpg    43.2 KB
v94.jpg

v93.jpg    27.7 KB
v92.jpg    40.4 KB
v91.jpg    56.8 KB
Yeah buddy, great job. I had a pretty good chuckle when you mentioned running it into the mailbox again and having to start over. Your brother in law is lucky to have you around and hopefully appreciates all the work you are putting into it. Just wait for the first test drive on it, you will be hooked. smiling smiley

Matthew Gatlin
Olympia Scooter Company
Cell: 503.954.4043
Email: sales@olympiascootercompany.com

Sammydeconinck Avatar
Sammydeconinck Pascal Leirens
Oudenaarde / Eine, oost-vlaanderen, Belgium   BEL
So Jim,
Just opened up my email,and i saw that your beauty can drive again ??? Enjoy your first trip and take care. All the best and have a merry christmas and a happy newyear !
Greetings from Belgium,
Pascal.

jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Thank you Pascal......yes I took my first ride on a Vespa tonight....it was a blast smiling smiley
To see the scooter go from an old run down and forgotten thing in the corner of the garage that sat for over 10 years to riding it down the road was a real thrill. Now I see what all of the excitement is about in the Vespa world. I wish I could upload a video of it running but I dont know how.

I owe a huge thanks to Matt at Olympia Scooter Co.........I know it was fate that I ran into him here on this forum. Sometime ya just know........his expertise made this journey a breeze. He saved me sooooooo many hours of computer research time because he knows every part on the scooter and he literally stocks all of them. Anytime I needed parts they were in the mail and on the way immediately. Also unheard of in todays world is that Matt made himself available to help me trouble shoot problems or to walk me through an install of a part. I think it goes without saying but if any of you guys in the future that are reading this post and need parts or even a little guidance.....or hey maybe even a vintage Vespa......do yourself a favor and contact Matt.......
Dont let all of this go to your head if u read this Matt smiling smiley

My journey isnt over just yet....I still have some tinkering to do. But I informed my brother in law that his scooter is ready for pick up so it wont be around for too much longer. Tonight I installed the correct size spade connector on the neutral selector switch and heat shrinked the connections. Then I installed the OEM boot over the switch....its so nice to see it back together correctly. I also installed the glove box back on the scooter....it really completes the look. The last items on my list are..........

Tune carb
Add more stuffing to seat cover......might have brother in law do that
Do another drain and fill of crank case oil
Install new used run switch ( thanks Matt )
Aim headlight?
Try to mute some of the vibrating on the scooter
Tighten kick stand bolts
and that about all smiling smiley

enjoy the pics of this China Blue Beauty.......I hope all of the pics post right side up.....if not just spin your computer

Attachments:
vp100.jpg    56.3 KB
vp100.jpg

vp101.jpg    58.2 KB
vp102.jpg    57.8 KB
vp107.jpg    46.1 KB
Thank you so much Jim for the kind words. You did a great job and the scooter is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I am also glad you got a chance to take it out for a spin and hope that one day you will end up getting one for yourself. Merry Christmas my friend!

Matthew Gatlin
Olympia Scooter Company
Cell: 503.954.4043
Email: sales@olympiascootercompany.com

hjarvis Avatar
hjarvis Hugh Jarvis
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
1974 Vespa 125 GTR "Isabella"
Sounds like a great project, Jim.

I would encourage picking up the appropriate Haynes manual.

Some helpful online resources:

scooterhelp.com
includes wiring diagrams, tips, and basic procedures.

BlueDawg's Vespa Maintenance P-Series blog
includes tips, troubleshooting, and reassembly procedures up to a full engine teardown

ScooterMercato's large frame engine disassembly overview

Mark Swift's wiring diagrams

Best of luck!

Cheers,

Hugh

jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Wow....thanks Hugh.....that is all very useful information.

I am finishing up the last couple of details before I deliver it back to its owner. Today the weather hit 50 degrees so it was my big chance to really ride a Vespa. The other night was my first Vespa ride ever so it was a bit tricky not being able to see the shift pattern on the handle bars. Today went great.....these scooters are a blast to buzz around. I was able to shift through all of the gears easily and she ran like a champ. I had already replaced the gear oil once but decided to do it one more time while the engine was warm. This Vespa is in great running condition with very few miles on it. I hope my brother in law will use it now.

I took a video of it running and will be uploading the video here to give the journey a finish line.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

1966 Vespa VLB Sprint 150

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links