Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TSS

Vintage Vespa Forum

1980 Vespa Piaggio P200e hasnt run in 10 years will blog the steps I take to get her running again....follow along

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Hello all, I have taken on the challenge to get my brother in laws 1980 Vespa Piaggio P200e running again after 10 years of sitting in a garage. Follow along to see just what it takes to get this ole girl runnin' again. I like to tinker but I am no mechanic.....not even close. I can do the easy Joe Schmo stuff that everyone else can.....but now with YouTube leading the way the sky is the limit. I have already met Matthew from Olympia Scooter Co on my first post in this forum. With his help I already have several parts in the mail and on the way. He has already gone out of his way to help me....I will do my best not to wear out his welcome smiling smiley .
Sooooooooooo here we go..........I drove from Chantilly Va to PA over the holiday to pick up the scooter from my brother in laws place...I transported it in my work vehicle. The extra few minutes we took to get her strapped in correctly for the long ride paid off. She arrived safely and didn't even budge on the 4 hour drive. On day one I snapped a few " before " pics out in the sun then rolled her into my garage.
I should note I have never ridden a Vespa and no nothing about them. I do however have experience with motorcycles but nothing with such an odd shifting mechanism. I spent a little time familiarizing myself with the scooter and it wasn't long before I realized that its an oil injected 2 stroke. I took it light on day one....I just removed the fenders....and located the carburetor. I peaked in the carb then called it a day.

Another note.....this scooter was in a little fender bender on its last joy ride.....so I will be replacing the headlight...blinkers....and trying to do some body work to knock out the dents in the fairing.

Day 2.....

I removed the glove box that was out of whack and wouldn't close due to the accident. After that I removed the carb. There are many videos showing how to remove the carb and it was quite easy to do.

My only observations of concern in the carb were the fuel banjo outside washer was deteriorated and the inside of the fuel banjo was full of debris. I also noted that the fuel line looked original so i will replace with a modern fuel line that can handle today's ethanol fuel. I was sure to cover the opening into the engine with a shop towel and called it a day.

I am working on this scooter in a company warehouse that I can only get to about every other day and mostly for short visits.....Either work or the wife will usually pull me in one direction or the other. I will post many pics along the way.......enjoy the ride.

I welcome any insight or knowledge that any of you have during this project....please feel free to interject.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
v1.jpg    67.5 KB
v1.jpg

v3.jpg    62.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
v2.jpg    44.7 KB
jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Pics from day two.....from now on I will do my best to keep the posts a bit shorter......
Questions that I have from day 2.....

Should I replace the gasket that was under the carb...and if so do I use a gasket sealer of any kind?
How does the fuel banjo get removed from the fuel line?

Note.....I did a compression test today....very happy with the results but I know better then to celebrate.

Attachments:
v10.jpg    44.7 KB
v10.jpg

v11.jpg    45.3 KB
v12.jpg    49.8 KB
v13.jpg    44.4 KB
jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Forgot to mention the reason for the blog........

Hoping this can help someone that has the same problem with their scooter.......and providing a place for my brother in law to be able to check in and watch the process.....

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
v14.jpg    35.8 KB
v14.jpg

v15.jpg    38.2 KB
jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Day 3.......the goal today was to remove the seat.... the gas tank ....and the oil tank. Mission accomplished. Nothing too tricky here....the only tip I might give you is that if you had a helper to remove the fuel line from the bottom of the tank while you hold it in the air it would be much easier. Also to feed the fuel line through from the carb back into the fuel tank void....lube the fuel line with wd40 at the exterior rubber grommet so it will easily retract from its position then u can pull it through into the tank void. The fuel line was very stiff and looked to be original....the oil line was fine.
Enjoy todays pics.....

Attachments:
v20.jpg    55.4 KB
v20.jpg

v21.jpg    60.4 KB
v22.jpg    48.5 KB
v23.jpg    26.9 KB
jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Last two.......thats all for today folks. Next on the list will be to rebuild the carb....

Attachments:
v24.jpg    36.2 KB
v24.jpg

v25.jpg    49.1 KB
Well done Jim,
You will probably need to replace the Carb to airbox gasket 131115 but I am impressed bud. If you are by yourself and trying to get the tank out and fish the fuel line through the body, turn the gas tank sideways in the frame, it will sit on the ledge momentarily while you are able to push the fuel line through.

Matthew Gatlin
Olympia Scooter Company
Cell: 503.954.4043
Email: sales@olympiascootercompany.com

jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Today was disassemble and clean carb day......the old fuel has an extremely strong smell to it....it has gummed up the carb as would be expected after 10 years. I purchased one of the Gunk brand paint cans w solvent in it and a screened basket to drop parts down in.....not sure if it is any more effective then just spraying carb cleaner...but I let the carb body soak in solvent for over an hour then sprayed it w carb cleaner. I used a small wire to clean out all of the jets then sprayed carb cleaner through until all holes were clear. I decided to put the carb screws back in the holes that I removed them from immediately after I removed them so there would be no chance of mixing them up......Im sure the pro's can easily remember where each goes......but not me. Tomorrow I will reassemble the carb and fill the new battery up with an acid kit. I am hoping to attempt to start the scooter either this weekend or next week.

Does anyone think I should spray some lube in the spark plug hole to pre lube the chamber...rings...etc? Is anyone out there? smiling smiley

enjoy pics of todays work

Attachments:
v33.jpg    46.2 KB
v33.jpg

v32.jpg    65.6 KB
v31.jpg    66.4 KB
v30.jpg    53 KB
Well done sir, it looks like an operating table! I use a paper clip to run through the jets after soaking in the carb cleaner. Also use a small amount of 3 in 1 oil into the cylinder head's spark plug hole.

Looking good and fingers crossed.

Matthew Gatlin
Olympia Scooter Company

jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Thanks Matt.......Im hoping she has enough compression to start....we will no soon enough.

jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Hello folks......Today was what I call a good Vespa day.........In all projects there are good days and not so good days.........I had worked on two snow blowers today before getting to play with the Vespa.....so I was hoping things would go smooth. As usual I keep the daily tasks light so I can enjoy the process. First job was to pour fresh gas with seafoam in it into the mostly empty fuel tank and let it soak. I sloshed the fuel mixture around several times in the next hour to agitate that gummed up fuel in the bottom of the tank....I will let it sit for a day or two then drain all of the fuel out....hopefully the tank will look shiny and new after a good soak and slosh. Yes that counts as a project! Then on to what has so far been the most gratifying install so far......the new kick start rubber boot.....I sprayed with wd40 then slid it on.....man what a difference a little rubber boot makes in the over all appearance of the scooter! I think the scooter will actually go faster now that it has this high tech rubber boot! Yes that also counts as a project! Now for what I really showed up to do......replace the headlight. Thanks to a few vids and some guidance from my friend Matt the headlight project was fun. I disconnected the speedometer cable...removed the 4 under belly screws.....pushed up on the cable and this exposed the headlight.....it looks like my brother in law or someone else was already in the headlight cavity because two of the screws were just laying in the bottom . I quickly figured out how to replace the headlight but noticed several other things while I had everything apart. The headlight aiming screws or adjusters are in there...I am hoping this headlight is aimed correctly because I dont wanna pop this thing open again to aim the light. I will have to check tomorrow if the adjusters are accessible from the outside as well. Also I noticed several areas that I am sure the pro's would apply some spray lube like the throttle cable....shift cable.....etc.......Hey Matt....what type of spray lube do you recommend?
I will buy some grease or spray lube then button up the headlight project.
Last item on the list since I now have the glove box removed was to hammer and dolly the dented front fairing. I guess u call it a fairing....and I guess its spelled like that. I was kidding about hammer and dolly because I have no idea how to do body work.....but I was using a rubber mallet with some success and almost have the panel straight. What I really need is a big round hammer....not a ball peen sp? but a big blunt rubber hammer that I am sure does not exist....I will make something and just hammer with that I guess. Once I get the fairing looking good I will install the new blinker assembly and be done with the front of the scooter.

That was a long ramble for sure......now for the picture show

Attachments:
v40.jpg    31.5 KB
v40.jpg

v49.jpg    57.7 KB
v41.jpg    56.1 KB
v47.jpg    59.3 KB
jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Some dang boring pics unless your restoring or repairing a Vespa huh.....til next time

Attachments:
v44.jpg    46.6 KB
v44.jpg

v45.jpg    37 KB
v46.jpg    47.5 KB
Hey bud,
Well done on the blog, I recommend white lithium grease but also recommend putting some grease on the throttle sleeve and both pulleys.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blaster-11-oz-White-Lithium-Grease/50337278?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-Tools-Lubricants-_-50337278:Blaster&CAWELAID=&kpid=50337278&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1167&k_clickID=go_625706834_34613749750_111132558550_pla-258966219319_c_9033506&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIirj01cCC3wIVXx-tBh2jhwhDEAQYASABEgKESfD_BwE

Matthew Gatlin
Olympia Scooter Company

jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Thanks Matt......will knock it out tomorrow.

jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Good times with the ole P200 tonight.......previous day I lubed er up with PB Blaster white lithium grease in all the nooks and crannies under the headlight cavity.

Tonight.....just snappin' on shiny new objects.......
installed....
new battery
used right rear turn signal
handle bar indicator covers
neutral select switch
fuel line
carb cover grommet
then closed up headlight cavity.....

too much work to post all those pics tonight.....just posting this so I can remember what I did....

I am working on the scooter in an old dark dreary warehouse .....I had the big bay door closed and it was dark and cold outside.......it was " Christine like " when after installing the battery I turned the key and the left blinker started to blink like a heartbeat.........ewwwwwwwwwwww spoooooooooooky She is coming back to life!!!! For those who havent watched the movie Christine......well....google it.

Looking good bud, well done!

Matthew Gatlin
Olympia Scooter Company

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

1966 Lambretta SX200

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links