Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TSS

Vintage Vespa Forum

1980 P 200e my first post......with my first set of questions

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Hello all....I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I have taken on the challenge to get a 1980 P200e Piaggio running. This is my brother in laws scooter and has not run for 10years. My skill level is intermediate I would say......I can fix snow blowers, lawn mowers, etc.....I do basic maint on my car and boat engine. I learn best via youtube vids vs reading shop manuals.
I rolled the scooter into my garage today and have taken a look around. I didnt even know the thing was a 2 stroke ....but I know now. So I lifted the seat and found gas and oil fill......I removed rear fenders and located battery on one side and engine / carb on the other. I removed top of carb to take a peak and it looks pretty clean. I plan to order a rebuild kit for the carb and somehow flush the gas tank with some fresh fuel....barely any fuel remains in the tank but it smells bad. I am hoping that after a carb rebuild and a tank flush that I might be able to start this machine. I would also like to change fuel filters....air filters...oil filter....spark plug....
Not too mention this scooter needs a headlight and a front right blinker.
Since this is my first post I will keep it light....I am not even sure i will be able to post a pic. But the question that I would love to get answered is what are the wires that attach to the right rear lowest point of the motor? I followed the harness but it just disappears into the frame of the scooter. I will try to attach a pic now. Thank you!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
vespa 1.jpg    35 KB
vespa 1.jpg

OlympiaScooterCompany Avatar
OlympiaScooterCompany Silver Member Matthew Gatlin
Olympia, WA, USA   USA
Hello,
Those are for the neutral light switch on your speedo assembly which is a green circle that will illuminate when the key is turned into the on position. We stock and specialize in the Vespa P200e scooters if you need any help or parts, we have everything.

Matthew
Olympia Scooter Company
Cell: 503.954.4043
Email: sales@olympiascootercompany.com

Matthew Gatlin
Olympia Scooter Company

jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Thanks Matthew! Man its a start.......problem number 1 of 1000 solved! From reading around on this forum I see you are one of the most active and answering everyone's questions. I have been watching hours of Youtube vids to try to get me up to speed on this scooter thing. I am hoping to just stay on the outer crust of this bike and not have to crack her open or get too deep. The scooter ran into a mailbox at slow speed so I am in need of some parts to make her whole again. I have a question or two for today before I get into parts and such.
I need to flush the gas tank with fresh fuel and would love to possibly replace the fuel line with a modern ethanol style fuel line. The fuel selector petcock seems a bit wobbly to me.....I will be removing the carb soon for a clean and rebuild.......wait for it...........wait for it.........sooooooooooo do u think I should just remove the tank for a thorough inspection? Is it easy enough to remove? It looks like just two bolts on top......
Last question....besides the ones I sneak in below......when I kick start the scooter every so often I get a stripped sprocket sound.....but then the next kick will be fine......the bike did fall on the kick starter side.......maybe some broken teeth on the starter sprocket? Go easy on me...not looking for big money kinda bad news.....

Parts I am looking for
Headlight.................is there a vid to show how to replace?
Carb rebuild kit
front right turn signal entire assembly w lens
rubber feet for kick stands
rubber for kick start
fuel line
fuel filter?
air filter
crank case oil?
battery.........is this a 12 volt battery? Can I jump start with a 12 volt car jump pack?

I will include some pics of the scooter on my next post so u can see what I am up against

Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jpv74 Jim Velardi
CHANTILLY, VA, USA   USA
Here are some pics

Attachments:
v1.jpg    67.5 KB
v1.jpg

v2.jpg    44.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
v3.jpg    62.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
OlympiaScooterCompany Avatar
OlympiaScooterCompany Silver Member Matthew Gatlin
Olympia, WA, USA   USA
Hello Jim,
Whoa, that is a BEAUTIFUL scooter and great job on the super low miles. Can you shoot me an email and I will give you a price quote as well as answer all the tech questions for you.

sales@olympiascootercompany.com

Matthew Gatlin
Olympia Scooter Company

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

1961 Lambretta TV 175 Series II

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links