Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TSS

Vintage Vespa Forum

1966 Vespa Sprint Trickle Charger Connections?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Colin W Colin Young
Waltham, Ma., USA   USA
I have a 1966 Vespa Sprint that is 6V - positive ground. I want to hook up a .5a trickle charger where the leads are given to permanently attach to the battery. I know normally red goes on the positive side of the battery and black on negative side . Does this hold true if the bike is positive ground?

A previous owner had a blinker system installed which looks professionally installed. After charging the battery overnight I tried the blinker system. The directional lights stayed on solid and did not blink. I reversed the blinker switch wires and the directional lights worked correctly. When I charged the battery last night (red wire on red and black (black) on black, did I change the polarity of the battery?

Thanks,
Colin Young
Waltham, Ma
(7 miles west of Boston)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
OlympiaScooterCompany Avatar
OlympiaScooterCompany Silver Member Matthew Gatlin
Olympia, WA, USA   USA
Reversing the polarity on a battery can happen only a couple of ways. If you have a wet cell battery are filling it for the first time, and are using an old style, non smart charger, and short the terminals while you are filling it, yes it is possible to hook up the charger backward and reverse charge it.

Matthew Gatlin
Olympia Scooter Company
Cell: 503.954.4043
Email: sales@olympiascootercompany.com

Colin W Colin Young
Waltham, Ma., USA   USA
If I hooked a VOM meter to the battery, red on red, black on black, would this show me if I reversed the polarity? Wouldn't it read negative 6V instead of just plain old 6V?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
OlympiaScooterCompany Avatar
OlympiaScooterCompany Silver Member Matthew Gatlin
Olympia, WA, USA   USA
take it down to a local auto store and have them test it.. easy

Matthew Gatlin
Olympia Scooter Company
Cell: 503.954.4043
Email: sales@olympiascootercompany.com

enigmas Avatar
enigmas Vince Stok
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 1944 by Colin W I have a 1966 Vespa Sprint that is 6V - positive ground. I want to hook up a .5a trickle charger where the leads are given to permanently attach to the battery. I know normally red goes on the positive side of the battery and black on negative side . Does this hold true if the bike is positive ground?

A previous owner had a blinker system installed which looks professionally installed. After charging the battery overnight I tried the blinker system. The directional lights stayed on solid and did not blink. I reversed the blinker switch wires and the directional lights worked correctly. When I charged the battery last night (red wire on red and black (black) on black, did I change the polarity of the battery?

Thanks,
Colin Young
Waltham, Ma
(7 miles west of Boston)

No! The battery charger doesn't know whether the scooter is positive or negative ground/earth. Attach the charger leads to the appropriate terminals on the battery. Red to Positive, Black to Negative.

* Psst! With positive ground you've just got the electrons going in the other direction to the spark plug.
Most cars produced in the UK prior to the 1960s had positive earth/ground charging/electrical systems. Truly no big deal. The only issues are with modern accessories as they are all negative ground.

*If it's running a generator it can be polarized for either negative or positive ground.

*If your scooter runs a coil, the coil works with either polarity or AC

*If it's fired by a magneto...it's AC.

* if someone fitted a battery to the scooter to run an indicator circuit..a module can be fitted/substituted for the original that rectifies the magnetos AC output to DC to maintain a charge in a small 6V rechargeable battery,

http://www.themagnetoguys.co.uk/spark-polarity

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

1966 Vespa 50 S

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links