Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TSS

Vintage Vespa Forum

1965 Piaggio Vespa spark issues. Please Help!!

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Ryan J Avatar
Ryan J Ryan Joyner
Fort Collins, CO, USA   USA
Hi All,

I am a newer member on this board and i recently bought a 1965 Vespa 150 VBB2T that was supposed to be in operational order. Found out the guy had not started the vespa in over a year and a half. Initially there was no fuel getting to the carb so i replaced the fuel tap and was able to get the gas flowing in the right direction. When i did that i was able to start the scooter and ride it for about 5 minutes. I then sputtered out and will not start again. I am at my wits end with this thing. I have replaced the stator because it looked like it was burned in a house fire. Still no spark. I replaced the ignition coil with one that looks similar to the old one. However, I tested the old coil and it looks like there is resistance so there should not be any issue with that. I looked at the points, and the plug boot. Still no spark. Would any one here have any idea where to look next. There isnt a repair place near me and i would like to get this done myself.

Any help would be amazing.

Thanks and happy scooting cool smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
OlympiaScooterCompany Avatar
OlympiaScooterCompany Silver Member Matthew Gatlin
Olympia, WA, USA   USA
Possible a short in the wiring loom somewhere... look inside the headset, or behind the switch smiling smiley

If you have to replace the wiring loom, they are easy to do and inexpensive.

Matthew Gatlin
Olympia Scooter Company
Cell: 503.954.4043
Email: sales@olympiascootercompany.com

Ryan J Avatar
Ryan J Ryan Joyner
Fort Collins, CO, USA   USA
Thank you so much i will look into that. I have replaced just about the entire electrical system except fot the wiring loom. I didnt think something up by the head area would affect anything.
Thanks for the suggestion.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Olympia, WA, USA   USA
We had a scooter in the shop that we spent several weeks chasing a short, replaced everything including the loom. Then on a whim I decided to replace the rear euro tail light and problem solved. The aftermarket euro tail light had an internal issue with it.

Matthew Gatlin
Olympia Scooter Company

ramwing7 James B
Fayetteville, AR, USA   USA
I had a very similar problem with a P125. After all the gyrations you mentioned above, I finally had the flywheel re-magnetized and it's been running like a Swiss watch ever since. Scooterworks (I think) in Chicago can do that for you.
Good luck!
Keep the shiny side up. smileys with beer

Olympia, WA, USA   USA
Excellent - well done sir

Matthew Gatlin
Olympia Scooter Company

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

1964 Vespa V9A

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links