TSS

Lambretta Forum

trying to identify an engine (presumably Lambretta)

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Brussels, Brussels, Belgium   BEL
Hello,

I recently inherited a home-made wooden 3-cycle that was build in the years 1973-1974, based on an engine that was allready taken from an accidented or thrown away scooter a that point in time ... The engine must go back to the mid '60ies I guess and is presumably a Lambretta ...

The engine is no longer part of the 3-cycle and I would like to start restoring it but first I'd need to find an engine.

Therefor I am looking to identify the engine, because the engine mount is very specific (basculating mono-cylinder engine with a central spring).

Can somebody help ?

Much obliged,

Stefan (Brussels, Belgium)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Trycycle 2.jpg    37.3 KB
Trycycle 2.jpg

trycycle 4.jpg    37.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Trycyclke 5.jpg    33.4 KB
003.jpg    57.6 KB
dudley1972 Avatar
dudley1972 Jason C
Gillingham, Kent, UK   GBR
1962 Vespa VBB Standard 150 "Maria"
1963 Lambretta Li 150 Series 2 "Rallymaster"
Hello,
From what I can see the engine has come out of an early Lambretta LD model, these were shaft drive these early engines. I have in my possetion a historical Lambretta book that gives approximate time of manufacture whch can be found using the engine numbers, if you like I can look this up for you, I will only need the first 4 digits of your engine number to do this.
Jaysn

Hello,

Thanks for you answer. In attachement, you'll find a picture of the tri-cycle in its actual state ...

There is nothing left of the engine ... so unfortunately I can not give you any digits or engine-number.

I'd love to have some more information on this early LD model, and eventually some pictures.

Second step would be to find such an engine ... or an engine with similar specifics so that it would fit the engine mount.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Stefan Lauwers

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
tri-cycle.jpg    51.2 KB
tri-cycle.jpg

dudley1972 Avatar
dudley1972 Jason C
Gillingham, Kent, UK   GBR
1962 Vespa VBB Standard 150 "Maria"
1963 Lambretta Li 150 Series 2 "Rallymaster"
I have to say it is curious looking at your attachment, whoever built this used the engine out of a Lambretta and the brake are the older 4 stud Drums from a vespa. Looking now more closely at the engine mounts I would say that a more modern Lambretta LI125 150 could be adapted to fit into that contraption, problem is these days they are getting harder to find and more expensive to buy, it might be worth trying to hook up a more modern Vespa P-range engine which is both cheaper and more reliable than the lambretta engine with parts available quite easily and cheaply.
Hope this helps
Jaysn

Thank you for your input. I'll have a look into those engines.

You are right when you say that I should try a cheeper solution.

The main hassle is the suspension. I am more and more convinced that some kind of extension was made (with a T-profile or something) to reverse the angle of suspension, making it possible to put the spring in front of the engine (just behind the pilot's seat).

Is it possible to weld on such transmission ? I don't know.

Thanks.

Stefan

Sammydeconinck Pascal Leirens
Oudenaarde / Eine, oost-vlaanderen, Belgium   BEL
Hallo Stefaan,
Eens contact opnemen met lambrettafinder of via www.Dit is een restautateur van oude vespa en lambretta scooters.Verkoopt ook nieuwe en 2dehands stukken.
Grts,
Pascal Oudenaarde.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

1962 Lambretta TV 175 Series 3

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links