AutoShrine Sponsor

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Did you repair or replace some worn out parts?
Add a new accessory or performance part? Make progress on your restoration?
Take it out for a ride on your own or with a group?

What did YOU do with your Vintage Vespa today?

Post your update below......

Webmaster, Two Stroke Smoke

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
Earl J - VSD1T Avatar
Earl J - VSD1T Earl J Castillo
Oakland, California, Clayton, New York, USA   USA
Today, I reworked (ground off /drilled out) the original rubber floor board strips, aluminum trim and polished the pointed ends. Sometime during its life someone repainted the entire Vespa this current (ugly) Mustard Yellow also to cover some surface rust on the tops of the floor board.

This person did such a poor job he/she didn’t bother to remove or mask off the strips. Just shot cheap quality enamel. In the interim, I guess my neighbor bought a floor board mat to cover the unattractive floor. I have since completed this project.

After removing the paint off the parts, straightening and polishing the trim, I reattached the trim using 3mm stainless button head, allen screws with stainless nyloc nuts.

The floor still has the funky rust corrosion (cleaned), but the trim is original, clean and polished. The right side floorboard did experience some “trama” (crashed into a curb?) earlier in its life, hence the funky re-paint. Well it’s back together, livable I suppose.

Cheers,
~Earl J

1965 Shelby GT350 CA & NY
1971 Vespa Rally 180 NY
2016 Porsche 911 C4S (the 07 MBZ SL55 AMG went bye bye)
2012 Mercedes ML350 4Matic NY
2015 Mercedes B electric (all electric, no gas) CA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSCN8558.JPG    35.8 KB
DSCN8558.JPG

DSCN8560.JPG    57.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSCN8557.JPG    34 KB
DSCN8606.JPG    54.6 KB
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
Nice job, I still have to tackle the floorboard rubber on my VNB3.

The holes in my rails don't come anywhere near matching the holes in the floor though, so those will have to be drilled.

The stainless hardware is a good idea, I'll have to copy that or otherwise use stainless rivets, but I kind of like making things easy to remove.

Skye

Member Services:
Earl J - VSD1T Avatar
Earl J - VSD1T Earl J Castillo
Oakland, California, Clayton, New York, USA   USA
Just recently (a couple weeks ago realitivly speaking) I was playing around with sprucing up the Rally visually and I added a pair of Ferrari Scuderia shield logos to the sides. Hey, it's Italian. I think it goes well with the exhaust. I was riding it the other day and came up to a stop light right next to a 900cc Ducati super bike. The rider looked over points to the shield nods, smiles and gave me the "thumbs up" then blasts off?

~Earl

1965 Shelby GT350 CA & NY
1971 Vespa Rally 180 NY
2016 Porsche 911 C4S (the 07 MBZ SL55 AMG went bye bye)
2012 Mercedes ML350 4Matic NY
2015 Mercedes B electric (all electric, no gas) CA

Attachments:
image.jpg    33.1 KB
image.jpg

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
If Ferrari is a prancing horse then Vespa would be a... prancing hornet?

Member Services:
Vila Avatar
Vila Robert Beers
Mechanicsburg, PA, USA   USA
1933 Chevrolet Master "The 33"
1962 Triumph TR4 "The TR4"
1964 Vespa VNB 125 "The Old Vespa"
1984 BMW 633CSi "The 633"    & more
Today I completed the first maintenance on my newly acquired 1964 Vespa VNB 5T which had it's last Pennsylvania state inspected in 1967.

The gas tank was coated with slim and the fuel tap leaked. I removed the tank and took out the fuel tap. I read about cleaning gas tanks on several websites and tried a few of the recommended methods.

First attempt was with lacquer thinner. I put approximately a quart in the tank it let it sit for a day, then I used a long artist style paint brush and rubbed a few areas with the brush. The rubbing loosened some slim, but not as much as expected.

Next I emptied the lacquer thinner and tried the same process with acetone. When I got to the brush part a lot more slim was coming off then when I used the lacquer thinner, but there was still a lot of rust in the tank.

Finally I used LYE, but first I cleaned the tank out with water. First I sealed the tap hole with two layer of packing tape. Next I poured in approximately 4 table spoons of granular lye followed with two cups of cold water. The tank got rather hot and the lye took out a lot of junk. I did this 3 times and each took out more stuff in the tank.

If I were to do this again I would skip the lacquer thinner. I have heard of people putting BBs or small stones in the tank with lacquer thinner or acetone and sloshing it around, but I didn't try that.

Next I rebuilt the fuel tap and reinstalled it along with a new gas hose.

Finally I removed the carburetor gas inlet and float cover. Cleaned out some dry gunk in those areas and shot some Carb cleaner through the carb. After reassembly the scooter ran a lot smoother since some of the gunk in the tank had worked its way into the carb.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
Thanks for the tips on cleaning out old dried up gas, Robert! That job can be a real pain.

Member Services:
Cretin Avatar
Cretin Sean C
Monaghan, Carrickmacross, Ireland   IRL
Today I fitted my home made seat nearly ready for paint

Attachments:
image.jpg    34.6 KB
image.jpg

image.jpg    37.5 KB
image.jpg    36.6 KB
image.jpg    38.2 KB
Cretin Avatar
Cretin Sean C
Finished DIY restoration, rims painted new tyres! Ready for the road

Attachments:
image.jpg    36.6 KB
image.jpg

image.jpg    37.3 KB
image.jpg    37.7 KB
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
WOW looks great Sean! What's the paint code on that red?

Member Services:
Cretin Avatar
Cretin Sean C
Thanks Skye, it came off the shelf massy ferguson tractor red no code on tin. I'm very happy with it,
I hope the next scooter looks as well!

RedBird64 Avatar
RedBird64 Ken Ashbrook
Severna Park, MD, USA   USA
I'm liking your mods!

RedBird64
1964 Allstate Vespa VNB 125
1966 Sears Blue Badge VLB1T

Vila Avatar
Vila Robert Beers
I took off an hour from work today and finally registered my 1964 VNB 5T that I bought in August 2015.

I got the works, one time antique registration fee with a Pennsylvania 1964 year of manufacture (YOM) license plate I got on eBay. I have done this with my antique cars and if you live in Pennsylvania and plan on keeping a vintage vehicle for more than 4 years the antique plate is well worth the cost, since it is a one time fee and you don't have to get an annual inspection either. The break even would be around 2 or 3 years if you didn't get the YOM plate. Adding the Vespa to my antique car insurance policy came out to only $20.00 per year with JC Taylor.

I also recently got a quart of Grigio Ametista colored acrylic lacquer from TCP Global to repaint the gas tank and touch up a few dings. Their website is at: http://www.autocolorlibrary.com They don't show paint chips for Vespa's but they do have the Vespa chips and can mix many Vespa colors if you call.

Attachments:
Vespa Front View.JPG    33.1 KB
Vespa Front View.JPG

Vespa Back View.JPG    36.8 KB
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
Looking good, Robert!

Do you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get antique plates in PA? I've been meaning to do that for ages here in British Columbia but you have to take a bunch of photos, print them out, fill out a long form, mail them in, wait for them to be checked by some bureaucrat to make sure you haven't done any mods, etc etc. It's so much cheaper though, I should really get on that this spring.

Skye

Member Services:
Vila Avatar
Vila Robert Beers
Skye

I guess it would take longer if I had to mail everything in, but I live 20 minutes away from the PennDOT headquarters building for all of Pennsylvania where all the titles and vehicle registrations are processed, so I always go there. From the time I entered the door to the time I left the building was less then 30 minutes and most of that time was waiting my turn to see a PennDOT representative.

The only hassle was the scooter was originally titled using the engine number rather than the VNB 5T 0303XX vehicle identification number, so I had to fill out a change of title form and have a local police officer come to the house and verify the vin number was for the same title which only had the engine number. I did this a few days earlier and it took a few hours of waiting around the house for the police to show up.

If it had not been for the title issue, it took two forms and $206. One form was to register the scooter as an antique and the other was so I could use a Year-of-Manufacture license plate.

Cost included $75 for antique registration, $75 for the number search to be sure the number on the 1964 PA license plate I brought was not already used, and the remainder for the title change and taxes. Pennsylvania has an online plate number search so you can be sure a number is not taken before buying a year of manufacture plate from places like Ebay, but the state still needs to do their search for verification.

$206 may seem like a lot, but it is a permanent registration and you never pay any annual registration or inspection fees. When I registered my 1933 Chevrolet car as an antique over 45 years ago, it only cost me $75 and have not paid any registration fees since and have not had to get it inspected all this time either.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-03 10:12 AM by Vila.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

1957 Lambretta LDA 150 Mk3

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links