TSS

Vintage Vespa Forum

New member with 1979 P-200-E

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

trackfodder Keith Williams
Bartlesville, oklahoma, USA   USA
I have a 1979 P-200-E that has set in my garage several years since the main bearings (I think) failed. It acted like a piston seizure with some squeaking, but on pulling the cylinder, I found it OK as was the piston. I am presuming since the crank is also the rotary valve, it was rubbing the case. I have bought a full set of gaskets and piston, stator ,battery, and bearings and seals. I was depressed to read the main engine mount/pivot was prone to rusting in place making removal difficult. It discouraged me from messing with it since I have several motorcycles and motorbikes anyhow. However, as I am now 81, I have trouble straddling the 1400 cc bikes and leg strength is quite bad. I am tempted to soak the bolt with penetrating oil and finally attack it with my electric impact wrench to see what happens. As I remember it was a real champ at hauling groceries and was pretty comfortable to ride.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TheRamones Erik S
Tallahassee, Florida, USA   USA
Good morning,

Can you post some picture of what you are having issues with.
There are some shortcuts/helpful hints that people who have pulled & reinstalled the engines on P200s can help you with. At 81, I wouldn't tackle this alone; best to have a friend/extra set of hands to help you out.
Also, did you not get anew crank, seals, & bearings to replace as well; as long as you are going to split the cases?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

1978 Vespa PX 125 E

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links