TSS

Vintage Vespa Forum

First rebuild, do I need a new piston?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

LBsP200 Lauraine D
Fishersville, Virginia, USA   USA
Rebuilding my first vespa (77 P200). Just opened the head. Cylinder walls look pretty good. Approx 11k on motor. The rings are stuck and the piston has a few nicks. To be clear,, I am a novice. Do I need another piston given the damage. As I understand it, a new piston would need to be matched to the cylinder.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20170212_155022.jpg    33.8 KB
20170212_155022.jpg

20170212_155049.jpg    28.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Sammydeconinck Pascal Leirens
Oudenaarde / Eine, oost-vlaanderen, Belgium   BEL
Hello over there,
If i were you,i surely replace the piston with his rings ! When i see the prices,it would be a shame if you don't replace him....
Kind belgian regards,
Pascal.

dudley1972 Avatar
dudley1972 Jason C
Gillingham, Kent, UK   GBR
1962 Vespa VBB Standard 150 "Maria"
1963 Lambretta Li 150 Series 2 "Rallymaster"
Hello there,
if you are planning on re-boring (which is the only repair after a seizure), yes the piston will require replacement as will the rings, the piston will be an oversized one which you can ask a dealer about while he does the cylinder repair. Hope this helps.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
primosonic Avatar
primosonic Bernie Garcia
Riverside, CA, USA   USA
This is very true. "the piston will require replacement as will the rings, the piston will be an oversized". Now first off get a hold of a telescopic gauge and also a micometer.
Measure the cylinder bore with the telescopic gauge, then use the telescopic gauge to the micrometer. This wil give you the reading on which oversize piston and rings you
will need. Here's a video to show you what i'm talking about:
Telescopic gauge/ Micrometer

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

1962 Vespa VBB Standard 150

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links