AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dudley1972 Avatar
dudley1972 Jason C
Gillingham, Kent, UK   GBR
1962 Vespa VBB Standard 150 "Maria"
1963 Lambretta Li 150 Series 2 "Rallymaster"
Hello one and all,
Recent rebuild of my sprint engine has lead me to install a 4 plate clutch to handle the increased power a little better. I have used a reinforced clutch basket with 4 off cork plates and stiffer Mallossi springs. once rebuilt and installed I found to my dismay that the clutch cover would not fit and hence the clutch would not engage/disengage. Decided to sleep on the problem and the next day while looking on the SIP website I found a spacer made of machined alloy with 5.5mm thickness that fits between the clutch cover & crankcase. I will install this next week once it arrives and update you on the succes rate of it all, it seems these are things one should take into account when upgrading parts into such old machines, these are not tips you can pick up in manuals, unlike the lambretta there is no Sticky manual for the Vespa.

Jayson

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dudley1972 Avatar
dudley1972 Jason C
Gillingham, Kent, UK   GBR
1962 Vespa VBB Standard 150 "Maria"
1963 Lambretta Li 150 Series 2 "Rallymaster"
Hello one & all,
It seems this has provided me with success, I am using a larger clutch basket (SIP part n°: 93224000), with the 6 spring clutch basket (96mm inner diameter). This works fine in combination with stiffer springs and a 1mm spacer for your clutch cover. I am also running on 8'' wheels so in order to reduce the rpm and get slightly taller gearing I have replaced the standard 22 tooth clutch gear cog with a 23 tooth one, this I have tested last night doing a 50 mile run to my local scooter club Big 7 in Sevenoaks smileys with beer, obtaining speeds of 57mph on the country lanes. So here is my engine and set up if you want to try giving this a go:

Bike: Vespa sportique 150 (VBcool smiley on 8'' wheels
Engine: Sprint type matched to barrel
Clutch: MMW race basket, 4-plate Mallossi steels & plates
Crank: Mazzuchelli PX conversion type
Cylinder: Pinasco 177 Alloyed steel
Carburettor: Spaco 24mm (standard jets)
Exhaust: SIP road II
Gearbox: 23/67 although will be changing the 67 drive sprocket to a 64 tooth one next winter
CHT at WOT: currently between 245F & 265F, usually hangs between 260F & 266, rising to 270 when climbing hills/

If you need any advise please leave a message in the replies below, always happy to help.
Jayson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-10 04:29 AM by dudley1972.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Scooters

1962 Vespa GS 160

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links